In partnership with Skin Renewal
Whether you’re a teen or adult, acne is not a happy experience. The aim is to stop it developing beyond blackheads and the occasional pimple, or the monthly hormonal zits, into full-blown acne. So, experts tell us to take immediate action with a long-term acne control plan before the situation gets serious.
The first step is to consult a qualified skin-care therapist who can assess the condition of your skin and stage or type of acne.
The first line of treatment will involve using an active, medical skin-care range, which works by:
• Boosting skin exfoliation to remove blockages and keep pores clear
• Controlling production of excess oil
• Antibacterial action to control and prevent the action of acne bacteria
• Soothing the inflammation to calm the skin and stop redness
Recommended skin-care treatments available at Skin Renewal:
– For mild to extreme acne, the NeoStrata Refine range is recommended as your home routine, combined with ProSystem NeoStrata peels to be administered at your skin-care therapist.
For people with extreme acne (under oral antiobiotic and retinoid medical treatment) the Refine range is also the ideal companion treatment as the products are very safe and well-tolerated by the skin.
NeoStrata uses a patented ingredient, N-Acetyl Glucosamine, which reduces oil production in a way that is comparable to benzoyl peroxide without drying out the skin. It also improves the appearance of dark marks left after spots have cleared. The range is non-comedogenic (won’t block pores) and non-acnegenic.
– Obagi’s CLENZIderm M.D. The system allows products to be used individually or in combination for the most effective treatment matched to your skin’s needs and type of acne. The range contains 5% benzoyl peroxide and uses solubilised technology to enhance product penetration into pores, producing a greater reduction in bacteria and reduction in acne in as early as two weeks. Daily Care Cleanser and Pore Therapy both contain 2% salicylic acid to help reduce sebum (oil) and unclog pores.
– For home use, Dermaquest’s DermaClear collection is formulated to combat the many stages and types of acne. Whether you’re prone to breakouts or simply need to correct a spot now and then, they offer various products to prevent, quell and alleviate the many symptoms of acne.
In a salon, Dermaquest’s Power Pumpkin Resurfacer is especially prescribed for acne management and age prevention. A 40% extract of pumpkin (a derivative of vitamin A and also a source of vitamin C and antioxidants) regulates oil glands, and salicylic acid combats and solves the problem of blackheads, pimples and lumps. The inclusion of glycolic and lactic acids makes it ideal for treating all grades of acne.
Its natural enzymatic action helps to unclog pores, dissolve sebum and reduce hyperpigmentation and fine lines and wrinkles.
– Lamelle believe in treating acne both externally and internally, and they recommend using the Clarity skincare range and Acnevelle oral supplements together, promising an 88% improvement in problematic skin within just four to eight weeks of use.
Besides using proven effective ingredients like tea tree oil and salicylic acid, the unique ingredients in the Clarity range include Nobel Prize-winning Epidermal Growth Factor for fast healing, patented vitamin-A RA technology to increase exfoliation, clear pimples, improve cell differentiation and reduce bacteria, while also reducing dark marks after acne. This is combined with Lactoferrin, an iron-binding protein with antibacterial, antifungal and antiviral properties. Scarring is also reduced through enhanced wound healing, and skin dryness is addressed.
Acnevelle (60 Capsules) contains nicotinamide and zinc picolinate, and helps to replace the skin’s own protective barrier, has a soothing, anti-inflammatory, anti-redness effect, and also reduces skin sensitivity. It should be used for at least 4-8 weeks continually, ideally alongside the Lamelle Clarity range.